Every single runner will face certain days where their faith is challenged. This happens to even the best runners so there is nothing to be ashamed of. What’s important is how to push on when you want to quit. I believe that often times, a few simple motivational phrases are very helpful to keep me going. Therefore, I would like to share with my fellow runners these 7 quotes from my Instagram profile @startrunningtoday.
1. If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can’t, you’re right. So believe in yourself.
Always believe in yourself even if the whole world doesn’t believe you can run. Even if everyone is behind you, it is useless if you do not even believe yourself. Prove to yourself that you CAN run, and you will definitely achieve it.
2. It’s supposed to be hard, the hard is what makes it great.
Nobody ever said running is going to be easy. This is why it feels so awesome whenever you finish a run or reach a certain milestone you set for yourself. The running never gets easier, you simply become stronger.
3. If you want to be successful in running, be consistent.
Consistency beats duration each time, every time. Forget about quitting for a week or so before you come back to running again. Forget about running a longer distance for each time you skipped a run. Even if it is a short 2km run, you have to force yourself to run consistently because this is the key to being successful in running.
4. ‘Running should be a lifelong activity. Approach it patiently and intelligently, and it will reward you for a long, long time.’ – Michael Sargent
I have read people who are still running in their 70s and 80s so what excuses are you giving yourself? Running is indeed a lifelong activity and you should not give up so easily just because you are struggling now. Be patient and give yourself a little more time to attain greatness. Always remember that Rome wasn’t built in a day.
5. ‘All progress takes place outside the comfort zone.’ – Michael John Bobak
If you feel like quitting, it means that you are doing something right and this will allow you to grow faster. Nobody likes being outside his comfort zone but this is what separates winners and quitters. Survive this and you will understand the true meaning of what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger.
6. The number one reason why people give up so fast is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, instead of how far they have gotten.
Is it really worth it to quit after what you have gone through so far? You have already outdone yourself by making it till now. Why not give yourself a pat on the back and be proud of how far you have come. Envision yourself in the future looking back, you will be proud of the moment you chose to push on instead of quit.
7. I run because I really like food.
If this doesn’t convince you, I believe nothing else can. You run to burn calories so that you can consume more calories in the form of YUMMY food. 🙂 🙂